Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Scene Report: Day 4 (Sunday), Part Two

Handclaps and Cowbells: A Klezmer Dance Party

I was so tired by the time the sun was setting Sunday night that I almost didn't go to Soundlab, but I'm mighty glad I did, because this Paul Kozlowski-curated evening was a high point of the festival for me so far. The space was used brilliantly, starting with a shadow play (masterminded by an artist whose name I didn't catch) featuring a huge cast of puppeteers and musicians in one nook of the room:



Then came The Baby Machines on the main stage for some relatively straightforward, very catchy indie rock featuing a strong lead vocalist (who later cameoed during one of Paul's numbers):



Next up was Gaybot from Rochester. Sheer insanity. I described it to one latecomer as the look and sound of a human brain melting. I forget how many people were in the band, and it was hard to tell because throughout the night there were so many people running around in bizarre costumes that you were never quite sure who was "in" what. Safest to say we were all a part of everything, although only a few of us came wearing feathers, rubber nipple-y outfits, or other festive attire. I do know for sure that Gaybot included one cheerleader, one guitarist playing heavy metal cock-rock solos that were always being interrupted by other band members, and one guy who stood completely still on the edge of the stage like those guys that used to accompany Public Enemy--at least until he burst into maniacal dancing for about thirty seconds, then stopped. Instruments were bashed, PA-system speakers were whirled around, and general mayhem ruled. The word "Gaybot" appeared often during their lyrics. I thought of Negativland a little. And I was glad no one got hurt.



After that, Paul K (and his partner whose name I never know) got the whole room dancing to his virtuoso flamenco guitar playing, and without losing a beat, the 12/8 Path Band took over. I am normally not the biggest fan of the 12/8 and was a little skeptical about how they'd go over at Soundlab, but I'll be damned if they didn't rock the house. Their blend of New Orleans brass band and Latin and African rhythms was so much fun, and such a huge crowd hit, that I'm pretty sure almost everyone in attendance will be remembering that night for a long time to come. I turned to a friend of mine at the bar and said, "When is the rest of the world finally going to catch on to what an amazing hotbed Buffalo's art/music scene is?"

I had intended to leave many hours earlier, but I was having such a great time I couldn't get out the door. By the time Dimetrodon played (the band I had originally come to see!), it was getting late, so I figured I could catch a few numbers and then depart. I know 'em, I love 'em, but I had to get some sleep sooner or later.

Thanks to all the musicians, to masterful Paul K, to Curt Rotterdam and Kyle Price, and to Craig Reynolds and everyone at Soundlab for a wonderful night.

Amount spent on admissions for the day (4 shows total): $6

No comments: