Friday, July 29, 2005

SHUT UP AND BE HAPPY!



Shut Up and Be Happy has got to be the feel-bad sensation of the festival. I don't want to give too much away, but I think it's safe to say that it's closer to a psychology experiment than a conventional theatrical production. (That's not a dis by any means.) Judged in that way, I can certainly say I learned things about myself, or thought about how I might react in certain situations--

--damn, it's very hard to talk about this thing without being more specific, and I really don't want to do that. Suffice to say I've experienced similar events over the years (I suspect lots of us have the urge to make work like this at one time or another in our lives) and SU&BH is one of the more effective variations on the theme. I just kinda wish it went farther in certain ways (even if, as an audience member, I'm glad it didn't).

No comments: