Thursday, August 04, 2005

MY LIFE AS AN APE

This entry was sent in by Tom Markham. When you see the show--or any InFRINGEment offering--please share your thoughts with the rest of us!

just wanted to compliment Scott Andrew Kurchak's fantastic performance last night!
with sweat dripping off him..his hard work and focus was truly amazing...what a great show!!!
congrats!

Okay, Ron again: I'm gonna post my Blurry Photo Du Jour here, because I don't think I can include it in the Comment I'm adding to this post. Here 'tis:

2 comments:

Ron E. said...

Wasn't planning to see Scott's show until a few days later since tonight was also opening night of the one I'm in, but it looked like he could use some extra bodies in the house. So I thought I might be a bit preoccupied, but Scott was rivetting.

It's a small show--only 20 minutes long--and I appreciate that. (Granted, I would have loved for it to have gone on longer; I'm just saying I like the way that he's crafted it on its own terms without forcing it into some more conventional shape and length.) Many years ago I read the Kafka story from which the play is loosely adapted, and Scott has done an excellent job of translating it to the stage, working in various other references in an extremely subtle way. The simple/bold lighting is exactly right, setting a mood that's part interrogation, part footlight-era theatrical spectacle (minstrel show, maybe?), part concentration camp. As for Scott's performance, I'm trying to come up with the right superlative, but nothing seems to fit. He's got a wonderful physicality, and he invests the character with both humor and pathos.

Bonus points for the most perfect post-show songs imaginable.

Anonymous said...

I very sadly could not make it down from Toronto for Scott's show, but knew it would be a good one since I know very well what a talented, intelligent and creative individual Scott Kurchak is. Very glad to hear the show was a success, it's well deserved!

-Heather