Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tail End of Wednesday

VERY long day of work, etc., but I did make the effort to end my day with a few Infringement events.
First (well, it didn't really feel FIRST), off to Soundlab at 10 for the last show of "Oscar and the Hooker" which was described as a short musical one act about the adventures of a young man in a downturned economy. This was written/scripted/produced by Evan Courtin, who I am familiar with from Peanut Brittle Satellite. A number of musicians (many from the band), a handful of actors, and a very familiar narrator collaborated on executing this piece.
Either these guys have a lot of friends, or word-of-mouth was good, because the place was packed.
The music was very good; serious, almost orchestral. Contrast the play; a silly/sophmoric romp that was unfortunately a little difficult to hear. In any event; well-received.
I headed over to Burnwood for the end of their acoustic showcase. I was actually planning on being there briefly, more a nod to the venue (which I adore) than anything else.
I arrived mid-set for Janna Willoughby. We all may know her better as MC Vendetta, or as a member of the Blood Thirsty Vegans (who I caught for ABOUT 30 seconds earlier this week doing a drive-by during the Lawn Disco). I remember seeing her 2 years ago doing some more traditional poetry, and was struck by the ability of her non-persona persona.
Once again. Although she confessed she had not practiced in awhile (with the resultant stress on her callus-free fingers), she moved from song to song with an easy familiarity that illustrates her versatility. Lovely work.
Next (and last) Claire Fornarola. Obligated to stay for this show, as Claire has been helping me out as one of the venue czars over @ Nobody's. I was feeling pretty comfy in one of Burnwood's generous couches. Claire is currently pairing with a young man whose name I unfortunately forget, but will find out soon as they are planning on continuing to work together.
Wow!
I had seen Claire play before, but tonight was truly special. I must admit a weakness for singer-songwriters who can not only make pretty music, but are adept wordsmiths as well. I think she's got a future. The venue really suits her, as well. The bats were out to play.

No comments: