Sunday, July 27, 2008

kick ass shows at bon vivant!!

hey all you fellow infringers! mc vendetta here to let you know that my new venue, Bon Vivant (1862 Hertel Ave) is off to an AMAZING start. First of all, we had Extreme Exhibition! hosted by 29 Cent Productions (Josh Smith, the Rated-R Rockstar). I was featured playing my folksy guitar songs, then we had Chris Gullo, very funny new comedian, and then Anne Huiner bringing it home with her amazing poetry. All in all, the first show was a huge success, we broke the Extreme Exhibition record for donations to the artists, so we must've done something right. :) There is another Extreme Exhibition! show tomorrow (monday) night at 7pm. After the show, I warmed up the crowd for Breezee One, white-chick rapper from Detroit (if you saw her you're lucky, she's fun!). I loved her song that included "LTC! LICK THE CLIT, Lalala Lick the clit!" AWESOME!

The next night we had "Woman, Sister, Mother-A Celebration of Life and Love" which is a play from Entertaining Angels-a multi-talented group of women who sing, dance, read poetry and act out the different types of relationships that women have. I really enjoyed the performance, they have costume changes and everything! I loved the singing most of all because it seriously gave me goosebumps. It was very spiritual and not in the pushy way, which was good. This is a great show to see, also good family event. They have three more performances at Bon Vivant during the festival.

After the play we tried to host an open mic night but Saturday night is just not the right night for that. I'm hoping that the word will have spread more by next saturday and that our next open space will pick up. I decided that I would just play for our 5 audience members (most of whom were my friends or were related to me) so I busted out my guitar and played a few tunes. Then my roommate yells out "WE WANNA HEAR YOU RAP!" Not one to turn down requests, I jumped head first into my alternate persona and her extensive reportior. Towards the end of my set there were a whole bunch of young kids (probably 15 of them, about 8th or 9th grade) hanging around the door, peeking in. I told them to come in, and they asked if they were allowed to play too. I handed over the guitar and our drum kit to two kids who really rocked a cover of RHCP's Californication. They were really good for kids in 8th grade. Hopefully they will come back and rock out some more. Aah, infringement, you never know when a 13 year old might steal your show from you! haha.

So tonight, Sugar City Showcase rocked the socks off of about 50 different beats and hippies and punks and skater kids. There was an awesome creative vibe pumping throughout the space, from all the visual art they brought and displayed, to the videos they showed, music they played, poetry they read, funny commentaries they performed and the random questions that they answered. All in all, we had over 50 people at the show which was FUCKING AMAZING!! Everyone was respectful to the performers and the art and there was a lot of idea generation and inspiration flying around the room. It was also a great networking event for local artsy folks. I can only hope that their next show is equally amazing. They really brought down the house. Definitely check out their other showcase on Friday at Bon Vivant. The art is on display throughout the festival if you would like to stop by and see it.

Thanks so much to everyone who participates in this festival to make it the rollercoaster of sweetness that it is.

Enjoy!

Bon Vivant!

love,
vendetta

No comments: