Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wednesday...in short

Hydroplaning home after the last show: I'm deconstructing this evening, and deciding it doesn't get more prototypically ideal than this.

Started off as planned; dropping the kid off to czar at Allentown Music. Ben Joe was playing to an audience of passers-by due to a snafu in the brochure. Headed down to Allendale to catch Configuration Dance Theatre. I've seen them perform before; professional, classically trained, spend a lot of time en pointe, but not "tutu foo-foo", if you know what I mean. Superb combination of athleticism and abstraction. I was particularily moved (to tears) by "Deportation" which was choreographed by Joseph Cipolla (artistic director), and danced to music by Sigur Ros. Gorgeous.

This show ran over, so I was too late for Michele Costa's "Box"across the street at Rust Belt. Swung by Allentown Music again in time to see Eleven80's packing up their gear,
and half a set by Crappy Stick. That was intriguing and enjoyable.

Blah, blah at home, then over to Squeaky Wheel to see "The Voidologists" whom I had missed at the Noise Fest on Monday. I HAD to go see this act, which was described as a footnote on their promotional material as sounding "like a robot orgy in hell...gone wrong". I thought they deserved an audience just for their marketing acumen. "They" is a misnomer; "The Voidologists" are essentially one techy guy named Dave that puts it all together in his basement, backed by a video his sister made. That last sentence makes it sound like kid stuff; au contraire; this was the audiovisual equivalent of being run over by a tank, and enjoying the experience. I was thrilled. For those with an acquired taste, NOT to be missed. At Squeaky Wheel at 6pm on Saturday.

Continued over to Nietszche's to see "Peanut Brittle Sattelite" who allegedly had been compared to the Mahavishnu Orchestra. That's starting to traipse on messin'-with-my-religion territory, so I was skeptical. (Case in point; first time I walked into my college boyfriend's dorm room, and saw 'Birds of Fire' on his turntable, I thought I was mated for life.) I was delighted to discover they were not as far off the mark as I would have thought (that's a big compliment). TWO drummers, bass, guitar, violin, keyboards. Sorta jammy(read:improvisational), but not in a bad way.

Then home. Tomorrow.............

No comments: