Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Niagara Noise Fest @ Burnwood

No, this wasn't just an excuse to head over to Burnwood; I had some business at hand. That, plus I actually am a bit of a noise fan.
I arrived about 2 hours late, midway through the set of Black Bloc. This was a single performer with a hardcore attitude; lots of angry vocals and slamming metal. My irreverent eye did note that a few of the cans that were being sheared apart to full effect had previously housed some green tea, which seemed a bit incongrous.
Next band (whose name I failed to obtain) was much more subtle. Perhaps too much so; my favorite part of their performance was when the lone dog in attendance raised his head and yawned, and it was AUDIBLE!!
The Lazlo/Rozler noise project was next, and much more listenable. It was interesting to watch what devices were applied to more traditional instruments to produce atypical sounds. Most curious was a brandy snifter laden with what looked like nipple clamps sliding up and down the strings of a horizontal guitar (?).
Axis of Evil finished up the night. I had seen them before at an Infringement fundraiser a few months back, and had been impressed by their home-made instruments, sense of humor, and musical ability (not always evident with noise bands). Had to split early, but not because I didn't want to hear more.

1 comment:

curt rotterdam said...

you missed demons and wizards fighting over a peice of bread upside down bat calling set. twas the perfect end.