Sunday, July 29, 2007

Electronica at Soundlab

I was really looking forward to this event at Soundlab Saturday night. I had done a brief investigation of the myspace pages of both Beta Cloud and Aidan Baker (I was going to be too late for Praying for Oblivion because of another commitment); and was intrigued by what I had heard. Intrigued enough to notify a friend of mine who has VERY similar taste in music; he made the same investigation, and drove in from Niagara County late Saturday to meet up and listen. We were anticipating an evening listening to dreamy aural landscapes and abstract sounds.
I'm still apologizing!
I've been to events of this ilk before, and had forgotten how often very little is going on onstage. For Beta Cloud, at least this deficit was noted, and partially compensated for by frenetic black-and-white photographic images assaulting the backdrop. Since I had just left the cunnilingus workshop (see below), though, many of the shots looked vulvar to me, shades of Georgia O'Keefe. (not a bad thing)
Rather monotonous, albeit pleasant background music. Turn down the volume, give me a mattress; they could have lulled me to sleep.
I'm certain listening in a different setting (without a twenty minute drive between me and my bed) would provide a different experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe the visuals were from 'Planet Earth 2: Blue Planet' dvd, if I recall correctly. In the words of the musician, "It's mainstream but cool."