Saturday, July 28, 2007

Letters (from here)....

I was sprinting (after a way-too-long day at work) to make the first monologue of Susan Hodge Anner's "Letters to the World", the one written-in-stone committment I had made to myself for Friday evening. Arrived mid-way thru the first.
I was experiencing some trepidation, as Susan is my co-czarina for Staples (where her show is playing), and I had never seen any of her work before. What if it sucked, and I had to play nice?? (something I can only fake with Herculean effort)
Clearly, a healthy contingent of the Buffalo theater audience IS familiar with her work, as the room was packed. Heavy on estrogen; an older crew than perhaps I'll see at Soundlab tonight. ARTVOICE's Anthony Chase was also in attendance (I am surrounded by professional writers). I needn't have worried.
These verbal snapshots were obviously wrought by a feminine hand, heavy on character development and exposition of feelings. Subject matter ranged from the joys of substitute teaching to post-partum depression to professional anxiety to death and loss. The monologues were nicely executed by a number of Buffalo's professional acting community. I was particularly moved by "Frozen in Time", performed by Kristen Tripp Kelley.
Last chance to see this show tonight @ 8pm @ Staples on Allen.

No comments: